INDUSTRY, POWER & GAS SECTOR
In order to give recognition and to compile data of best practices for energy efficiency in different sectors, work has been initiated to launch the National Energy Efficiency & Conservation Awards. The newspaper ad for inviting interested organizations for participation in the Award Scheme has been given.
The Energy Standards & Labeling regime is being introduced for domestic household appliances; JICA is providing technical assistance in this regard. The minimum energy performance standards (MEPS) of Fans, AC, CFLs, Ballasts and Motors were approved and notified in coordination with Pakistan Council for Scientific & Industrial Research (PCSIR) & Pakistan Standards and Quality Control Authority (PSQCA).The MEPS of tube lights, microwave ovens, televisions and refrigerators are under development with JICA support.
PC-1s being developed in consultation with Punjab Energy Department, TEVTA and University of Punjab for establishing Common Manufacturing Facility and an accredited lab for Pakistan Electric Fans Manufacturing Association(PEFMA)
- Developing interest free loan package for fan manufacturers in collaboration with the State Bank of Pakistan and other financial institutions.
- Draft summary for the ECC of the Cabinet for fiscal incentives (Custom & Regulatory Duty Exemptions) on import of electric steel sheet has been prepared and circulated for comments from relevant stakeholders which will enable fan manufacturers to produce energy efficient fans at cheaper costs.
Among various energy conservation measures which were approved in the 12th meeting of Cabinet Committee on Energy (CCOE) held on 8th April 2015, one of the measures was to raise awareness and to conduct Energy Audits in Industries. Subsequently awareness sessions were carried out in various Chambers of Commerce and Industries. Through respective chambers and newspaper ad, industries were requested to share their consent for conduct of Detail Energy Audits in Industries on cost sharing basis. The process to engage consulting firms as per PPRA rules for conduct of energy audits has been initiated and a newspaper ad has been given.
The following manuals developed by ENERCON have been shared with Higher Education Commission for possible consideration in relevant Engineering Courses being offered by recognized Engineering Universities and asking relevant faculties to further upgrade the content of manuals:
Improving Energy Efficiency In Electrical systems
Improving Boiler Operating Efficiency
Tube well Energy Audit
- 2nd round of enlistment/empanelment of Energy Auditing firms is in process
- A project on Sustainable Energy Efficiency Initiatives in Industries under development with UNIDO
- Project for Heat Rate Improvement Program of Captive Power Plants discussed with USAID
- Project being developed with UNEP for developing energy efficiency benchmarks in energy intensive industries
- Concept note submitted to JICA for establishing Centre of Excellence on Energy Efficiency coupled with development of Certified Energy Managers/Auditors Mechanism.
- Consulting firm is being engaged for Institutional Development and to propose restructuring of ENERCON as per the provisions of the National Energy Efficiency and Conservation Bill 2015 along with job descriptions
- Cellular companies have been asked to share and prepare the plans for reduction of communication/BTS towers load and their Solarization and launch a campaign for promoting energy efficiency.
Tips to reduce your ENERGY COSTS for INDUSTRIAL and COMMERCIAL CONSUMERS
- Devise energy conservation plans to avoid energy losses.
- Arrange for regular boiler/ furnace tune ups.
- Arrange for Steam System Surveys.
- Arrange for Electrical System Surveys.
- Switch to energy efficient lighting.
- Use high efficiency motors.
- Use variable speed drives.
A small care of BOILERS guarantees BIG SAVINGS
- Tune-up boilers every 3 months.
- Install temperature indicator in stack/chimney.
- Install flow meters for natural gas and steam in boilers to get exact efficiencies.
- Install an economizer to recover the exhaust heat from stack.
- Install automatic system for pressure control.
- Pre-heat feed water.
- Repair damaged insulation and openings.
|Introduction EC Plans & Audits||MoI & prov. Deptts.||25/03/08|
|Correction of combustion processes, controls and instrumentation, tune-up of combustion furnaces, and boilers, etc.||Respective industrial units supervised by MoI & PDs.||25/05/08|
|Promote Co-Generation, CHP/Combined cycle, better house keeping for enhancing capacities in power plants from the current average 25% to around 50 percent||PEPCO & other concerned utilities||25/05/08|
|DSM programs & T&D losses to be brought to acceptable levels through Energy Loss Reduction Programmes||PEPCO & other concerned utilities||25/09/08|
|IPP energy & captive power generation losses to be brought to optimum levels||PEPCO & concerned IPP's||25/07/08|
|10 million energy savers (approx.cost Rs.1 billion saving 30/annum)=500 MW||PEPCO||25/08/2008|
|Generation output recovery through efficiency improvement (house keeping, boiler efficiency, waste heat recovery) ( cost 70 million$ saving 370M/annum)=309 MW||PEPCO||25/12/2008|
|Replacement of Existing Generation plants (Cost 650 million$ saving Rs. 14B/annum)=856 MW||PEPCO||25/08/2010|
|Upcoming IPP's Efficiency at 43 % instead of desired 62% (unnecessary/avoidable burden of US $ 330 million/annum)||PPIB||25/10/2008|
|T&D Losses of Gas companies reduced on fast track down to 4%||SSGC
|Replacement plan for geyser and stove burners (4.9 Million users) (Replacement cost = Rs. 10.0 Billion) (Saving/annum = Rs. 6.0 Billion)||SSGC
|Tax credits for solar geysers, discourage unregulated imports of domestic appliances, adoption of standards for import and local manufacture from comparative economies (India, China)||PEPCO/Gas utilities||25/08/2010|
|Time of use Tariff and Load staggering for domestic and commercial consumers||PEPCO||25/06/2010|
- The industrial sector consumes about 38% of the nation's commercial energy and most of this is concentrated in a few hundred industrial plants.
- Under one of the ongoing projects (Project ACE) of ENERCON, 192 Boilers/Furnaces in selected industries were tuned achieving an annual fuel saving worth Rs. 110 Million.
- Under the same project, 42 Steam System Surveys were conducted in the industries, identifying an annual fuel saving potential worth Rs. 60 Million.
- Ten training workshops in 5 major industrial cities were conducted to train managers, engineers and mechanics in:
- Improving Boiler Operating Efficiency in the Industrial/Power Sector.
- Improving Steam Distribution System Efficiency in the Industrial/Power Sector.
Training manuals on the above mentioned topics were updated. Two training manuals are being prepared on the following subjects:
- Improving Energy Efficiency in Refrigeration and Air-conditioning.
- Improving Energy Efficiency through Co-generation.