Under UNDP’s Pakistan Sustainable Transport Project (PAKSTRAN) the following studies have been finalized to be carried out by ENERCON:
Improved Energy Efficiency in Truck Freight Transport.
International Best Practices /trends in truck freight energy use and its linkage in the context of Pakistan.
Environmental Impacts of a major freight corridor.
TIPS FOR TRANSPORTERS/VEHICLE OWNERS TO REDUCE YOUR ENERGY COSTS
- Tune up your vehicles regularly after every 15,000 Kms
- Opt for joint commuting instead of using individual vehicle
- Use bicycle or walk for short trips
- Travel off peak hours. Avoid traffic congestion
- Accelerate slowly & smoothly.
- Avoid jerky starts
- Keep air filter clean & change it every 10,000 Kms
- Avoid frequent acceleration and braking
- Check the brakes for even & adequate braking
- Check steering system for ease & smoothness of operation
- Change oil filter regularly. Use multi-grade synthetic oil
- Check tyre pressure weekly and wheel alignment every 10,000 Kms
- More speed - More fuel. Drive between 65-80 Km/h.
- Do not bypass the radiator fan automatic switch or remove thermostat valve.
- Cold engine consumes more fuel
- Turn off engine while waiting on traffic signal. Don't idle for more than 1 minute
- Check cooling system regularly
- Inspect & clean the battery terminals
|Phased tune-ups of vehicles & other energy efficient driving practices among drivers, vehicle and fleet mangers and operators||Relevant Transport/ Registration Authorities||10% of the total/month|
|Upgradation of existing MVEs into credible monitoring and service providers to the transport sector||Provincial & district governments||25/04/08|
|Initiation of monthly Transport Energy Audits by all Municipal Corporations, PIA, WAPDA, NLC, Private Transporters, Railways and shipping, etc.)||Respective entities||25/02/08|
- Transport sector is a major consumer of gasoline, diesel, LPG and CNG in the country. This sector is also beset with low energy efficiency, resulting in wastage of fuel.
- ENERCON has set up a number of computerized tune-up centres throughout the country, where through tuning the engine and by good housekeeping of the vehicle, 10% fuel can be saved and noxious exhaust emissions can be reduced by 60%, thus reducing air pollution and greenhouse gases.
- ENERCON has published manuals for the guidance of Auto mechanics and have distributed these to the target groups.