MATERIAL FOR YEAR BOOK – 2014-15
MATERIAL FOR YEAR BOOK – 2014-15 (ENERCON)
The National Energy Conservation Centre (ENERCON) is an attached Department of the Ministry of Water & Power and serves as a federal focal agency mandated for initiating, catalyzing and coordinating all Energy Conservation activities in different sectors of economy. ENERCON has been charged with a wide range of responsibilities including:-
· Formulating energy conservation programmes in all the main energy consuming sectors.
· Planning and initiating energy conservation actions nation-wide.
· Outlining policy guidelines to support energy conservation initiatives.
· Developing a comprehensive data base on opportunities for energy conservation.
· Supporting training activities on energy conservation application.
· Undertaking field research and pilot demonstration activities on specific energy conservation options and technologies; and
· Monitoring the implementation of conservation programs by other public and/or private sector entities.
2. In order to achieve the vital and challenging mandate of energy efficiency and conservation in all sectors of economy, a need was felt to introduce credible law which has now been provided through the draft National Energy Efficiency and Conservation Bill 2015. The said Bill shall provide for the establishment of institutions and enunciation of mechanisms and procedures so as to provide for effective conservation and efficient use of energy. The bill was approved by the Council of Common Interest (CCI) in May 2014 and has now been cleared by the National Assembly Standing Committee on Water & Power on 25th August, 2015.It shall soon be presented in the Parliament for legislation.
3. After enactment of the National Energy Efficiency & Conservation Bill, 2015, ENERCON shall become an Authority for which total restructuring of the department would be required as per the provisions of the Bill. Under the Act the provinces shall also get the required legal powers to keep check on energy utilization.
Other major activities undertaken by ENERCON during the year are given as under:
i) Establishment of Energy Conservation Cell:
An Energy Conservation Cell was established in ENERCON to monitor and implement Electricity Conservation Measures for Summer 2015, approved by the Prime Minister in the 12th meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Energy held on 8th April, 2015.Following action were taken in this regard:
- Appointment of Energy Conservation Officers (ECOs) in each department and imparting training to them. So far 56 ECOs have been nominated and their training sessions are being carried out regularly to help them establish respective energy management programs/activities and database for installed electrical appliances.
- Conduct of Awareness Sessions on Energy Audit in collaboration with Power Distribution Companies (DISCOs) and Industrial Chambers. Lists of industries which have shown interest in conduct of Energy Audits, Boiler /Furnace Tune ups and thermography on cost sharing basis are being compiled by respective industrial chambers enabling ENERCON to initiate the process of engaging Energy Auditing Firms for the purpose. So far, sessions have been organized with following Chambers:
i. Gujranwala Chamber Of Commerce
ii. Sukkur Chamber Of Commerce
iii. Peshawar Chamber Of Commerce
iv. Islamabad Chamber Of Commerce
v. Rawalpindi Chamber Of Commerce
vi. Hyderabad Chamber of Commerce & Industries
- Promoting Energy Efficient Appliances by proposing fiscal incentives.
- Follow up with DISCOs & Entities to provide technical assistance, if required, and to take updates over implementation status of various activities assigned to them.
- Compilation and evaluation of the impact of energy saving through implementation of proposed measures by the Cell.
ii) Industrial and Power Sector
- In order to give recognition and to compile data of best practices for energy efficiency in different sectors, work has been initiated to launch the National Energy Efficiency & Conservation Awards.
- Coordination is being done with the Economics Affairs Division for arranging donor assistance to support ENERCON both technically and financially. Sector-wise energy efficiency project concept notes are being developed for submission and consideration by different donor agencies.
- Conduct of three days workshop in four major cities (Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar and Islamabad) free of cost on the following Training manuals in September 2014:
1. Improving Energy Efficiency In Electrical systems
2. Improving Boiler Operating Efficiency
3. Tubewell Energy Audit
About 800 participants from different fields including professional engineers, agriculturists, industrialists & students participated in the workshop to make this event productive. Training sessions in universities and dissemination of manuals on Electrical & Boilers Energy Audits developed by ENERCON is an ongoing activity. The manuals are uploaded on ENERCON website and have also been shared with Engineering Universities.
- The Energy Standards & Labeling regime is being introduced for domestic household appliances; JICA is providing technical assistance in this regard. The minimum energy performance standards (MEPS) of Fans, AC, CFLs, Ballasts and Motors were approved and notified in coordination with Pakistan Council for Scientific & Industrial Research (PCSIR) & Pakistan Standards and Quality Control Authority (PSQCA).The MEPS of tube lights, microwave ovens, televisions and refrigerators are under development with JICA support.
- The first round of enlistment of energy auditing firms has been completed and seven firms have been provisionally enlisted as Energy Audit Service provider which shall be referred to private sector for conduct of energy audits at their own risk. However, free energy assessments are carried out on request basis focusing on major energy guzzlers like induction motors, furnaces etc.
iii) Building Sector
- The Building Energy Code was launched in collaboration with Pakistan Engineering Council & Ministry of Housing & Works in 2014. The development of Compliance Hand Book of the Code is under process.
- JICA team is also supporting ENERCON to promote Energy Efficiency in Building Sector and is currently analyzing the Building Sector potential based on their data collection from various development authorities.
- KfW (German Development Agency) has shown willingness to develop a Green Public Sector Building appliances replacement program with ENERCON, for submission to Green Climate Fund.
iv) Transport Sector
- Under UNDP’s Pakistan Sustainable Transport Project (PAKSTRAN) the following studies have been finalized to be carried out by ENERCON in current financial year:
i) Improved Energy Efficiency in Truck Freight Transport.
ii) International Best Practices /trends in truck freight energy use and its linkage in the context of Pakistan.
iii) Environmental Impacts of a major freight corridor.
v) Agriculture Sector
- Centre for Clean Air Policy is assisting ENERCON in developing a proposal on energy efficiency in agricultural sector for submission to Green Climate Fund and UK-German Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Action (NAMA) facility
vi) Training and Outreach Sector
- ENERCON in collaboration with WWF-Pakistan is conducting awareness sessions for children of Green Schools and Energy Assessments in 23 Schools of Rawalpindi / Islamabad region. Up to 2500 students have so far participated in the program. The program would be replicated in other regions of Pakistan as per mutual consent.
- ENERCON regularly deputes trainers to conduct training courses on multifarious topics relating to energy efficiency and mitigation. In 2014-15, such courses were conducted from the platform of Pakistan Engineering Council in Islamabad, Lahore and from the Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Pakistan (IEEEP).
- Customized Onsite Training Programs on energy efficiency for Industries is an ongoing activity; in 2015 this activity was conducted in Hattar Industrial Association and COMSATS Institute of IT in Lahore.